Mark Colgan, CFP®
Founding Partner, Private Wealth Advisor
In Mark’s own words…
For years I’ve loved climbing mountains in the Adirondacks. In fact I’m well on my way to climbing all 46 high peaks and becoming a proud member of the “Adirondack 46er club.” Along the climb I thoroughly enjoy connecting with nature, as well as the physical challenge of ascending 3,000+ feet of rough and steep terrain. Then, upon reaching the peak, I’m immediately rewarded with breathtaking views of beautiful dense green forests and expansive mountain ranges lying quietly beneath blue skies. The experience helps me escape stress and enjoy the beauty our mother earth has to offer.
Being a deep thinker, I tend to analyze things a lot and I often think about the parallels of mountain climbing and financial planning. I think we could all agree that similar to climbing a mountain our journey to retirement presents many challenges and opportunities. Some we can prepare for and others we cannot. And reaching the peak is similar to the phenomena of reaching your goals.
Like a Mountain Sherpa, as your Financial Planner I will be by your side along your journey to offer prudent advice and support in the voyage to reach your goals.
More specifically, I’ll make sure:
- You are clear about your destinations
- The journey is well mapped out
- You are properly equipped
- You have contingency plans in case of an emergency
- Your goals are recognized and celebrated
- Your milestones are recorded and shared with those you love
I will do this through delivering a proven process that involves a carefully thought out financial plan centered on helping you safely reach your life goals.
Having experienced the unexpected death of his first wife, Joanne, Mark learned at the early age of 30 the fragility of life and the importance of proper planning. It was a bitter yet valuable life experience that shaped his career and his passion for what he does.
Mark’s expertise in estate planning is underscored by several accomplishments:
- Author of Details After Death: Navigating the logistics after a loved one dies
- Articles appearing in U.S. News and World Report, the Journal of Financial Planning, American Association of Individual Investors, and Money Adviser, a consumer reports publication.
- Cited by FOX News, CBS MarketWatch, Oprah and Friends, Morningstar.com, and other mainstream media
Mark loves mountain climbing and is on his way to becoming a proud member of the “Adirondack 46er,” an exclusive group of people that have climbed all 46 of the high peaks in the Adirondack park. Mark exclaims, “there is something powerful about being outdoors, surrounded by nature and raw beauty, and pushing my mental and physical limits.”
When Mark climbs, his mind clears, and he is able to think on a deeper level than in the normal fast-paced world. A lot of extreme sports enthusiasts and outdoorsmen feel the same way, and a lot of his clients are folks who enjoy these kinds of activities.
Mark currently lives in Honeoye Falls, New York, with his wife, Kathy, beautiful children Christopher and Emily, and thier beloved cat Rex and Labradors, Cooper and Colby.
Mark has been in the financial services industry for two decades, and prior to that, he earned a BS in finance from the Rochester Institute of Technology. Some of his credentials are:
- CFP® practitioner
- FINRA Series 7 registration (General Securities Representative)*
- FINRA Series 63 registration (Uniform Securities Agent State Law)*
- FINRA Series 65 registration (Uniform Investment Adviser Law)*
- Life and Health Insurance licenses
- Registered Representative and Investment Adviser Representative of Commonwealth Financial Network®, the largest privately held independent broker/dealer in the nation, to take advantage of all the services and resources they offer